Well, it happened. Bedrest! Fun!
Things are still okay. Really, WE’RE OKAY. Not bad, just not good, either. Neutral. I hesitate to write this post because I’m sure it will freak some of you out so I just want to assure you that our doctors are NOT freaked out, no one is alarmed and no one is talking early delivery. This is an overly cautious measure.
23 week ultrasound yesterday. The day I was hospitalized in labor with Amy. I was terrified, but last week’s power cervical length had me actually believing that we would get another “looks great” and be on our way to viability. We did not get a “looks great.” Or actually, we did get a “looks great,” and then we got a “hold on, let me see what the doctor thinks about this.”
My cervix is still closed, and it is still very long, more than 4 cm, but it is also doing something called funneling which means it is beginning to change. It opens a small amount at the top and then closes back up (so when the tech said, looks great, it was closed, and then she saw it start opening). This is a relatively common thing, in fact once you are in the third trimester it’s an expected thing, and it’s not alarming because of two things: 1)even with the funneling, at its shortest my cervix is still measuring 3.6 cm which is plenty of length. At 24 weeks anything over 2.5 cm is great, so 3.6 cm is still overachieving. And 2) it is not funneling all the way to the cerclage, which means the cerclage is NOT currently stopping it from opening, the cervix is holding up that amount of length on its own, which is great. But obviously no funneling would be better.
But I DO have the cerclage, and my cervix is still long and closed, so none of the doctors are worried about imminent delivery but they want to be, in their words, “overly cautious given [my] history.” So I’m on partial bedrest for the week until my next check on Friday, and 3 days of a drug called Indocin which is technically an anti-contraction med but has a side effect of lowering the volume of amniotic fluid, which they feel will relieve some of the pressure on my cervix. They said in these cases the common path is that this will resolve the funneling for now, I’ll be fine for another week or 2 or 3, then they’ll see some again and we’ll lather, rinse, repeat, preventatively. That sucks, but occasional preventative partial bedrest is 1000 times better than 20 weeks of full or hospital bedrest in imminent danger, and infinitely better than, you know, the other alternative. They are still talking about a full-term pregnancy in everything they say, which is good indeed.
But, given my history, and given that I am only 23 weeks, this also tells the doctors pretty much 100% that I have incompetent cervix, so kudos to them for making the right call in a field of fairly ambiguous evidence. If I didn’t already have a cerclage, they’d be putting one in based on this, so I am glad we listened to them and opted to get it early – it’s given us a lot of extra peace of mind in the interim and there would be a much bigger risk to baby now than there was then.